About Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
FLAS Fellowships are federally funded awards offered through the University's Middle East Studies Program. They provide funding for undergraduate and graduate students who study modern foreign languages and related area studies.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Applicant must be a current or incoming full-time student at the University of Utah.
- Undergraduate applicants must be at least at second-year proficiency of a less commonly taught language.
- Undergraduate awards provide up to $10,000 in tuition and a $5,000 stipend for the academic year.
- Graduate awards provide up to $18,000 in tuition and a $15,000 stipend for the academic year.
- Summer awards provide up to $5,000 in tuition and a $2,500 stipend.
Undergraduate and graduate students from all majors and departments (except the School of Medicine) are encouraged to apply for FLAS. You do not have to be a language or area studies major to apply.
FLAS is awarded to a wide variety of students. Students from majors such as Economics, Communications, Linguistics, Environmental Studies, Asian Studies, Sociology, Engineering, Political Science and others have all received FLAS awards.
FLAS can be used for summer study abroad programs, semester study abroad programs, and study at the University of Utah.
All study abroad programs funded with FLAS money must be approved prior to award by the FLAS coordinator and the Department of Education.
The application is due on Friday, January 28, 2022 . This is the deadline for both Summer 2022 and Academic Year 2022-23 awards. Only one application is needed if you are applying for both awards. Please see the application page for complete details.
Academic year awards: students must register for one language class and one area studies class each semester during the FLAS fellowship period.
Summer awards: students must enroll in a six-week (minimum) intensive language program.
Please see the undergraduate, graduate, and summer awards links for more details.
Please see Approved Languages for a complete list of FLAS eligible languages.