Skip to content

Signature Experience

Signature Experience for Middle East Studies Major

With a major in Middle East Studies, students are required to earn 3 academic credits by completing a signature experience. Students can fulfill this requirement through studying abroad, interning in a related field, earning credit for a research project, completing a community-engaged learning (CEL) course, or by taking MIDE 4107: Model Arab League, a course offered each spring semester. Read more about Model Arab League.

For any questions about opportunities or to talk through the process of deciding on a signature experience, make an appointment with an academic advisor. 

Study Abroad

Learning Abroad offers a variety of programs for fall, spring, and summer programs.  Academic credit and funding are available for fall, spring, and summer semesters, with programs available in Jordan, Israel, UAE, Tunisia, Morocco, and Egypt. Middle East Studies also offers scholarships for students studying abroad in the summer. Be sure to apply

Next Steps 

  1. Attend a Learning Abroad 101
  2. Search through programs
  3. Research scholarships

Contact Information

Learning Abroad
Union, Room 159
(801) 581-5849 |


The Hinckley Institute offers internships locally, nationally, and globally, and funding is available for fall, spring, and summer semesters. Locally, students might intern with the World Trade Center of Utah or with a non-profit such as the International Rescuee Committee or Utah Council for Citizen Diplomacy. In Washington, D.C., students have opportunities to intern with AMIDEast, the Middle East Institute, Middle East Policy Council, and more. Across the globe, the Hinckley Institute sends students to various nonprofits, businesses, governments, think tanks, and NGOs. 

Next Steps 

  1. Search through internships
  2. Review the frequently asked questions
  3. Research scholarships

Contact Information

Hinckley Institute of Politics
Gardner Commons, Room 2018
(801) 581-8501 |


Conducting research is an excellent way to work closely with a faculty mentor, enhance your understanding of a topic, and clarify your academic and career goals. And there are numerous opportunities available. 

Next Steps  

  1. Speak with an Office of Undergraduate Research advisor 
  2. Join the research student listserv 
  3. Search for opportunities
  4. Attend a research workshop

Contact Information

Office of Undergraduate Research
Sill Center 005
(801) 581-8070 |

Community Engaged Learning

Whether you have a few minutes in between classes, an occasional hour on a Saturday morning, or time to engage every week, there are plenty of ways for you to get involved. Community Engaged Learning (CEL) courses can be a great way of using your language skills in the Salt Lake community. For example, CLCS 3940: Community-Engaged Learning is offered each fall and spring semester.

Next Steps

  1. Search CEL designated courses through campus schedule
  2. Register for a class
  3. Consider the Bennion Scholar Program 

Contact Information

Lowell Bennion Community Service Center
Union Room 101
(801) 581-4811 |

Last Updated: 11/3/21